Thursday, November 11, 2010

Introvert's Lament

I’ve been reading the blog of my dear friend, Micheal. He has the marvelous gift of telling stories about people and places that resonate with something inside each one of us. He’s also one of the most transparent people I know. That’s a gift that’s difficult to use. When we’re transparent, others are free to accept us, reject us or ignore us. It takes courage to be real.

I wish that I was able to be that way a lot more than I am. I have a difficult time allowing others to see what is going on inside my head and heart. That’s basically because I am, in Jungian terms, a true introvert. It’s what I am and, as Edie Brickell once sang, "What I am is what I am.” It’s not something that’s going to change, so I have to live with it. So do my friends and family and anyone else I encounter.

This introversion stuff causes frustration to some because, unless I know and trust you, I’m not likely to let you see all of who I am. Trust takes time and not everyone has time to give. Those who don’t have time for investment in folks like me just take what they see at face value and go on. That’s their right but I wonder what would happen if they gave me a little more time.

I’m not the only one with this particular personality gift. I say gift because I believe that we are each gifted to see the world and to relate to people in a certain way. What we and others choose to make of that gift is what makes the world what it is. Perhaps the world would be much better than it is if we actually encouraged people to be the best of who they really are instead of requiring them to be the best of what we think they should be.

I’ve seen good people become bitter or burned out because they weren’t allowed, either by their jobs or their families, to become fully the persons they were created to be. They lost faith in themselves, the world and God without ever having the chance to come to full faith in the first place. I hate that. I hate it for them and I hate it for the rest of us, who will never have the chance to know them as truly joyful people living their lives and gifts to the fullest.

Where are you and I in all this? What do we tend to do with the people who move into and out of lives?  I hope that we see the treasure they really are instead of projecting onto them the personality or set of values we think they should have. Unfortunately, that’s the state of American society these days. We’re the culture that says, “If you’re not like me, they you’re against me. You should want to do what I do, say what I say, look like I look and think what I think.” Today the norm is “Conform or be Cast Out.”

I guess we all conform to some extent, but we all have to decide where to draw the line. How far are we willing to go before we dig in and refuse to compromise who we are any further? Only you can decide where that is for you. Wherever it is, I wish you the courage to find that place and stand firm. You are who you are and that’s good enough.

Why am I using this blog to tell you all this? Because I’m am an introvert and having this type of conversation doesn’t always come easy. Conversely, it’s the conversation I need to have. Talk about being conflicted!

In the words of Rodney Dangerfield, “It ain’t easy being me.”

2 comments:

  1. I just took a strength finders poll in conjunction with the book "Living Your Strengths", as part of a several-week study session my pastor's wife is giving. Have you heard of this? It was interesting to me that I took the poll and got my results this week, and then you write about personality "gifts" which are the same as strengths, don't you think?

    Funny, but I don't see you as an introvert--or myself either though we may be quiet types. You express yourself through the song quotes you use to update your Facebook page daily, or almost daily. I enjoy that. And I remember, ever so vaguely, your guitar and your singing in college ever so long ago. Wow. So long ago, and also, like yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Lisa,

    I'm not familiar with "Living Your Strengths." There's a lot of stuff out their these days dealing with personality gifts and strengths. I've found an excellent little book called "Your Personality and the Spiritual Life" by Reginald Johnson that I recommend.

    College...so long ago and so near in my memory! True, I didn't always act the introvert. It's easier to be open and put yourself "out there" with people you know and trust. Still, introversion is one of my "gifts" of personality. According to Myers-Briggs typology, it's all about energy flow. Acting extroverted is an energy drain for introverted folks. We can do it for a while, but we need some alone time to "recharge." I find that I treasure the alone, contemplative time more and more. For me, it's a gift from the divine.

    ReplyDelete